Recent clinical trials conducted in India have shown that an extract of Gymnema sylvestre is useful in both insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) and in certain types of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). As a result of these clinical tests and years of successful treatments, Gymnema is used today all over India for treating diabetes mellitus.
Studies conducted in India as early as 1930 showed that the leaves of Gymnema sylvestre cause hypoglycemia in experimental animals. This state of hypoglycemia is explained on the assumption that the drug indirectly stimulates insulin secretion of the pancreas, since it has no direct effect on carbohydrate metabolism.
- Help to reduce weight and decreases Serum triglycerides and cholesterol
Gymnema controls and regulate weight Supporters of Gymnema sylvestre claim the herb also lowers triglycerides and “bad” cholesterol. Along with a healthy diet and exercise, Gymnema sylvestre can be a helpful addition in weight-loss plan.
- Anti oxidant properties
Gymnema montana another species has Antioxidant, Antiperioxidative effects in body and scavenges the free radicals from the body.
- Antimicrobial activity of Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract
The ethanolic extract of Gymnema sylvestre leaves demonstrated antimicrobial activity against Bacillus pumilis, B. subtilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus ,Klebsiella pneumoniae, Salmonella typhi. Hence the extract can act as a good antimicrobial agent and protect the body from infections.
FOR OTHER DISEASES
- Gymnema has been used in case of rheumatoid arthritis & Gout since ancient time.
- Fever treated with oral administration of half announce to an ounce ( one part in 10) of leaves
- Swollen glands treated with an external application of triturated leaves mixed with castor oil
- Reduces the taste of sugar when it is on the mouth
- Gymnema curb sweet tooth
- Gymnema controls sugar craving
- Snakebite treated by powder or paste of the root applied to the wound
- Stimulates the heart and circulatory system, activates the uterus. Used in parageusia and furunculosis. .
- Emetic, expectorant, astringent, stomachic.
PROPERTIES AND ACTION (Ayurvedic philosophy and view point)
- Rasa : Tikta, Kasaya
- Guna : Laghu, Ruska
- Virya : Usna
- Vipaka : Katu
- Karma : Chakhsyusya, Dipana, Kaphahara, Vatahara, Visaghna, Sramasana
THERAPEUTIC USES IN AYURVEDA
- Sula(Stinging pain)
- Arsa (Piles)
- Svása (Asthma)
- Hridroga(Cardiac ailments)
- Krimi (Worm infestation)
- Kustha (Skin diseases)
- Netraroga (Opthalmic diseases)
- Prameha (Genito Urinary Diseases)
- Vrana (Wounds)
- Dantakrimi (Tooth infections)
SIDE EFFECT (Reff-WebMed)
- No side effect as such and usually it doesn’t Insulin interacts with GYMNEMA Gymnema might decrease blood sugar. Insulin is also used to decrease blood sugar. Taking Gymnema along with insulin might cause your blood sugar to be too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your insulin might need to be changed.
Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetic drugs) interacts with GYMNEMA
- Gymnema supplements seem to lower blood sugar in people with diabetes. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking Gymnema along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed. Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others.